Re: [K12OSN] video on LTSP

First, get off of Fedora Core 6; you're asking--begging--for a system compromise.  It hasn't been supported for nearly a year now!  I strongly recommend K12LTSP 5EL, based on CentOS 5, which looks virtually identical to FC6.

After you do that...

...then check out your server port on your switch to see how much bandwidth is actually being used when you try to view these videos.

Also, note that Totem and MPlayer are not the same thing; I've found that Totem can have "issues" in LTSP environments that MPlayer doesn't seem to have.  No, I don't know why; it's just what I've seen.  And MPlayer is at version 1.0; there is no v2.16.5.

_______________________________
Do you GNU?

Bob Mead wrote:
Hello all:

I am having problems with watching videos using K12LTSP on Fedora Core
6. I am at a school site and we have a teacher running a project with
students creating stop motion video (digital pictures) using
clay-mation. I have converted the images into video @ 400kbps and 5
frame/sec. encoding (using either .flv and .mp4 formats) and cannot get
them to play using  Totem (Mplayer v2.16.5) or vlc. Once converted into
a movie file, either of the two players will open the file and then
immediately shutdown. I can play the files in either format in Mplayer
on my Ubuntu desktop.

My guess is that LTSP just can't support the bandwidth needed to stream
the files. Any suggestions on how to make this work on LTSP?

Thanks in advance,
    ~bob