[K12OSN] Re: video on LTSP

I always associated that "immediately shutting down" when playing video thing with either a lack of video RAM on the client or using the wrong video drivers. (Usually vesa when you could force a more appropriate choice.) What kind of video cards do these clients have.

If it was a bandwidth thing it would be more likely to just play really slow and/or jerky. And when mplayer or totem can't find the right codec they usually complain about it.

Oh, I should say that I'm far from the most knowledgeable guy on here. So YMMVIMHOBBQ and all that.
ck

Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 00:45:57 -0500 From: "Terrell Prud? Jr." <microman cmosnetworks com> Subject: Re: [K12OSN] video on LTSP To: "Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn redhat com> Message-ID: <49279C95 6070902 cmosnetworks com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" First, get off of Fedora Core 6; you're asking--begging--for a system compromise. It hasn't been supported for nearly a year now! I strongly recommend K12LTSP 5EL, based on CentOS 5, which looks virtually identical to FC6. After you do that... ...then check out your server port on your switch to see how much bandwidth is actually being used when you try to view these videos. Also, note that Totem and MPlayer are not the same thing; I've found that Totem can have "issues" in LTSP environments that MPlayer doesn't seem to have. No, I don't know why; it's just what I've seen. And MPlayer is at version 1.0; there is no v2.16.5. _______________________________ Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>? Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate antivirus protection! Bob Mead wrote: