[K12OSN] Sound module for ebox 2500

Gert Vandenreyt gert.vandenreyt at openict.be
Thu Nov 27 08:22:16 UTC 2008

Barry R Cisna schreef:
> Gert,
>
> Try adding the via82xx sound module to your lts.conf file for this
> client. SMODULE_01 = via82xx  Make sure you have the other sound modules
> you have listed commented out just to take them out of the equation.
> Also go into the bios of your Ebox 2500 and see if there is an option
> for "legacy sound emulation" or something like that? It seems I run into
> this about three years ago and can't remember exactly what the tweak was
> to make it activate?I doubt this will work if ltsp didn't recognize this
> sound chip at bootup, but it's worth a try.
> Let us know your results.
>
> Barry Cisna

Barry,

No success with th via82xx sound module. In the BIOS there's no option
like sound emulation. I know that for the previous ebox 2300 model,
someone compiled a driver called sis_7019. I guess I will have to
compile a driver for the ebox 2500 myself, but I can't find source code.

I also found a script on the ltsp-website that modifies the
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.sound script, so that alsa drivers can be used
through esd. With these modifications made, I specify the snd-hda-intel
module, and it seems to work fine. I can telnet the client on 16001, no
more errors like "/dev/dsp no such file or device", testing sound in GUI
shows no errors. BUT ... no sound coming from the speakers

Gert.