Re: [K12OSN] Cloning drives, no network or compression

Peter Scheie wrote:
Actually, this sounds like a good case for using LTSP with the machines, cable plant aside. Would stringing some cat6 cable to these machines, one by one, be out of the question? Considering a modest server can be had for $500, you could then show how those old machines can be given new life just by having a new wire pulled. I think it would be cheaper than trying to buy RAM for such old machines. Just a thought.

I have to agree with this. You aren't going to like performance with 256k RAM and it is difficult and expensive to find old-style RAM these days. If the machines are together or in small groups where you can park a so-so box as a k12ltsp server and squid proxy with a 100MB switch on the local side the clients will work better than on their own.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com