[K12OSN] How to upgrade Firefox?

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 23:45:30 UTC 2008

Here are the instructions (verbatim) that Terrell posted on my request
of how to downgrade from FF3.  except for step 10 where the link name
is missing. I added what I used.  I'm guessing that they should just
work going the other way as well?  The other thing I have also found
useful is using gconf-editor to make sure that the panel launchers
launch mozilla-firefox.desktop as opposed to the default setting.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins

RPM repositories aren't always the answer.  You could do it the same
way I do it on some of my systems (CentOS, Slackware, etc.).  Just
download the Firefox 2 tarball (not the "installer" package, I mean
the other one, it's about 9.3MB), un-tar it into, say, the
"/usr/local/firefox2" directory, and symlink /usr/bin/firefox to
/usr/local/firefox2/firefox.  Boom, you should be good to go.

Here's how I do it, step by step:

1.)  Download Firefox 2.x to some directory (we'll say /home/temporary
for this example).
2.)  Become root.
3.)  cd /usr/local
4.)  tar -xvzf /home/temporary/firefox-2.0.0.x.tar.gz
5.)  ls -l  (you should see a "firefox" directory now)
6.)  mv firefox firefox2.0.0.x  (this is just for you to remember
which version of FF it is)
7.)  ln -s /usr/local/firefox2.0.0.x /usr/local/firefox  (just a
symlink to make it slightly easier to upgrade later, not required)
8.)  cd /usr/bin
9.)  mv firefox firefox.bak
10.)  ln -s /usr/local/firefox/firefox  firefox

And then, give 'er a spin.  You should be able to click on any of the
"Firefox Web Browser" icons and have v2.0.0.x come up.

--TP