[K12OSN] HELP!!

Barry R Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Tue Oct 7 23:31:04 UTC 2008

Randy,

There are a lot of variables here with the information you have given.
Are your users home folders on the SAME server? If the users home
folders are on a separate "fileserver"( not this server),,then it is
understandable why you are getting the access denied" if NFS is not
starting up for you.IF, the home folders are on THIS server and you can
not even browse the folder from the server console.I would get rough,
and do from a terminal:
chmod -c -R 755 /home
This is not exactly cosher of course but at least you should be able to
get the users seeing their home folders. This (should) get it going for
you.Also what happened when you try and open a terminal from the console
of the server.
Does the terminal window hang for a while ,then open or may not open. If
this is the case I would guess for some reason your hosts entry for this
server has went south on you.
Open the /etc/hosts file and make sure you have an entry:
127.0.0.1 FQDN  localhost.localdomain   localhost
Not sure why your nfs will not start. Copy/Paste your exports.conf file.
Maybe you fatfingered/typoed something in it,to cause nfs to bomb out on
startup.
Just a few things to try here,,
Let us know your findings.

Take Care,