[K12OSN] Multiple LTSP Servers to Share the Load?

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 02:06:10 UTC 2008

2008/10/10 Stephen Crampton <SteveSings at gmail.com>:
> How difficult would it be to set up multiple servers on the same LTSP
> network using K12LTSP?

Look up archives. A dhcpd load balancing solution is already described
and works wonderfully. Limited to two LTSP servers.

> I want students to be able to do 3D editing with Blender and would like to
> be able to share the processing load over two servers.

Why not build an application server for blender only?

> I also would like one server to handle the entire lab in case the other
> crashes.  Ideally, the takeover would be automatic.

The dhcpd load balancing does this.

[SNIP]

> BTW, as it stands now, I have only one server.  However, I do have two disk
> drives on the server.  I put /home and /var on one drive and everything else
> on the other drive.  (I put /var with /home because all the users have a
> public_html symlink that goes to /var/www/html/students/username.

If space is not a problem I would rather do a RAID1 mirroring with two
disks so that even if a disk crashes (more likely than a server) data
remains available and services do not stop.

--
Regards,
Sudev Barar

PS: I know most of people do not follow email niceties (mostly they
are not aware) but if you follow bottom post/in-line post style of
email conversations it becomes a whole lot easier to carry on
meaningful dialogue and you can snip out what is not meaningful too.
Most people just hit reply button and top post leaving prior message
appended uselessly at bottom. See if you can adopt this style and
persuade others. In case you are already doing this ..... great,
spread the message.