[K12OSN] Editing GUI Menus for Clients

Gerald Drouillard gerrylist at drouillard.ca
Fri Oct 10 19:26:57 UTC 2008

Jamie Lists wrote:
> I'd like to be able to control the GUI menus for client machines. For
> instance take out the Administration stuff, or the terminal
> application.
> I'm assuming i could edit an account and then copy all it's files to
> /etc/skel. But it's not obvious how to even do that. Could some one
> point me to a how to or some docs on that?

-My lts.conf file is:
	[default]
		LDM_DIRECTX=True
      		SOUND=Ture
      		LOCALDEV=True
      		SYSLOG=server
      		USE_LOCAL_SWAP=True
      		X_COLOR_DEPTH=16
		#X_MODE_0=1024X786
      		LDM_PASSWORD=xxxxxx
      		LDM_LIMIT_ONE_SESSION=True
	[00:1e:0b:39:a3:40]
		LDM_AUTOLOGIN=true
		LDM_USERNAME=guest2039
	[00:1e:0b:39:9e:4c]
		LDM_AUTOLOGIN=true
		LDM_USERNAME=guest2038
	[00:1e:0b:39:9d:19]
		LDM_AUTOLOGIN=true
		LDM_USERNAME=guest2037

Anybody looking for a kiosk type of setup?  The following file may help
you out: /etc/X11/Xsession.d/10KioskCleanUp

if [ `stat -c %G $HOME` == guest ]; then
      for goodbye in `ls -A $HOME/.`
	do if [ ! -e "/home/doNotDelete/$goodbye" ]; then
      	    rm -fR "$HOME/$goodbye"
	fi
      done
      chmod 700 $HOME
      cp -r /etc/skel/* $HOME
      cp -r /etc/skel/.[a-z]* $HOME
      chown -R "$USER:guest" $HOME
fi
Basically, anybody a member of guest gets their directory blown away on
login.

I use a generic account to create the screen menus and settings.  Then I
copy the appropiate directories (basically .gconf) to /home/doNotDelete.
  The /home/doNotDelete looks like:
/.gconf
/.gconfd
.bash_logout