[K12OSN] Cheap PXE nics?

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon Oct 13 04:27:26 UTC 2008

Vince Callaway wrote:
> The advantage of using the Intel cards is that they perform better than
> realtec ones.  The Intels do most of the work on the card where the
> Realtecs take CPU time.

On the server, yeah, I can see that concern.  But on the client, who
cares?  Remember, folks, that even a Pentium-133 is overkill for an LTSP
thin client on which you're not running apps locally.  Doesn't sound
like he's doing that.

A couple of minutes on PriceWatch led me to this model of NIC.  It is
the Zonet ZEN3301E 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Card w/ PXE Boot ROM.
Here's the link.

  http://3btech.net/zoze10gietca.html

--TP