[K12OSN] Sound : my nemesis

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 02:32:54 UTC 2008

I got sound to at least play a .wav file via esdplay /usr/share/sounds/phone.wav

After trying all sorts of adding/removing/reinstalling of the esd
rpms, I finally just mv'ed /opt/ltsp to /opt/ltsp.bad and then
rsync'ed a copy of the /opt/ltsp directory from my 32bit server to my
64bit server as /opt/ltsp.  Copied the lts.conf file back, and
rebooted the thin clients. Now sound works.  I still have the issue
with the libesd errors and perhaps that will come back to haunt me,
but I now get sound.

Now, what is different?  All I know is that with the /opt/ltsp that
installs on the 64bit servers, when I check via lsmod, the thin client
shows (among other listings)

soundcore: via82cxxx_audio, sound
sound: via82cxxx_audio, uart401

while on the 32bit server (and now the 64bit with the replaced /opt/ltsp)

soundcore: snd
snd: snd_pcm_oss, snd_mixer, snd_via82xx, snd_ac97_codec, snd_pcm,
snd_timer, snd_mpu401_uart, snd_rawmidi, snd_seq_device

Also, rc.sound is different.  The working version has (not the only
difference, but what I suspect is important?)

#ALWAYS LOAD snd_pcm_oss drivers
modprobe snd_pcm_oss

Trying the symlinks command (symlinks /usr/lib/) returns (on one of
the 64bit servers)

absolute: /usr/lib/libnss_winbind.so -> /lib/libnss_winbind.so.2
absolute: /usr/lib/tcl8.4 -> /usr/share/tcl8.4
absolute: /usr/lib/libnss_wins.so -> /lib/libnss_wins.so.2
absolute: /usr/lib/sendmail -> /etc/alternatives/mta-sendmail

so I am missing the symlink as well on this system?  Given the
numerous times I have (re)installed the rpm's perhaps it is not
surprising. The other systems return

absolute: /usr/lib/libnss_winbind.so -> /lib/libnss_winbind.so.2
absolute: /usr/lib/libesd.so.1 -> /usr/lib/libesd.so.0
absolute: /usr/lib/tcl8.4 -> /usr/share/tcl8.4
absolute: /usr/lib/libnss_wins.so -> /lib/libnss_wins.so.2
absolute: /usr/lib/sendmail -> /etc/alternatives/mta-sendmail

but they still have the libesd errors reported earlier.

If you have more suggestions on how to get rid of the error, I'd be
happy to try them.

I have absolutely no idea why the ltsp directory is different between
the 32 and 64 bit servers, both are the CentOS iso versions from the
k12ltsp site.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins