[K12OSN] How to change X-terminales networks

Rob Owens rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com
Wed Oct 22 11:56:10 UTC 2008

I'm not an expert on the syntax, but I know you can use 'sed' for this.
 It'll find and replace text in any file.  Something like:

sed s/192.168.0.254/192.168.10.1/g myconfigfile.txt > myconfigfile.txt.2

That'll find the first IP address in myconfigfile.txt, and replace it
with the 2nd IP address in myconfigfile.txt.2 -- you'll then have to
delete the original config file and replace it with the new one.

You could probably put together a script that does a recursive grep
(grep will find text in a file) and the run sed on that file.  This is
probably wrong, but it might go something like this:

#!/bin/bash

# Change these variables to suit your needs
OLDIP=192.168.0
NEWIP=192.168.10
SEARCHDIR=/etc

for FILE in `ls -R $SEARCHDIR`
do
	grep $OLDIP $FILE
	if [ $? == 0 ]; then
		sed s/$OLDIP/$NEWIP/g $FILE > $FILE.new && mv -f $FILE.new $FILE
	fi
done

I'm very much a beginner at scripting, and I didn't even test this, so
wait and see what the scripting masters on this list say before using
this.  And make sure you test it on a non-production system.

-Rob

Arturo Limón wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am preparing a "standar server" for schools with k12ltsp over CentOS.
> It runs over Linux RAID, so cloning the server for similar hardware is
> quite easy.
>
> BUT, I have a problem with networking. I am preparing the server for
> network 192.168.1.x, but when I have to install it in schools, quite
> often I find that their network is in the range 192.168.0.x, or
> 192.168.10.x or any other different from the one I have prepared. As far
> as the server will not only server "dumb" terminals (old computers) but
> also real computers for services like http, samba, dns, and others, I
> may need to change my net range from 192.168.1.x to theirs, better than
> changing IPs to serveral tens computers scattered all over the building
> (something that they frecuently do not like).
>
> But changing it has proved to be not an easy task. Lots of configuration
> files are involved. I have seen all those files are created and/or
> correctly configured on installation, but changing them after than needs
> a lot of handwork, I have tried with ltspadmin, but I only solves part
> of the problem.
>
> So, my question is:
>
> Is there an easy way to "say" to the system, "network is not 192.168.1.x
> any more, now is 192.168.0.x", and get all the involved files changed or
> recreated accordingly, like in installation happens ?
>
> Thanks.

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.