[K12OSN] OpenOffice 3.0

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Thu Oct 23 22:59:21 UTC 2008

John Montoya wrote:

> Another NOT critical question...
>
> Again, on a fresh EL-5 server. The default install ends up with
> OpenOffice 2.3
> I have looked and looked... can't seem to find a way to "update"
> office to the new 3.0
>
> Question:
> Is there an update process?
> or
> Do you simply delete office 2.3 from the server and do a fresh 3.0
> install?

K12LTSP 5EL is based on CentOS 5. So the version of OpenOffice.org in
the CentOS 5 repositories is what you get when you install
OpenOffice.org. CentOS being a rebuild of RHEL, you're going to get
whatever Red Hat ships at the moment. And RHEL being an enterprise
Linux distribution this means you're not getting the latest version,
but a stable version. (By the way, I believe there is no current Linux
distribution shipping OpenOffice.org 3.0 at the moment.) But you can
probably download the 3.0 rpms from the OpenOffice.org site and
install those instead: http://download.openoffice.org/other.html Just
know that yum won't be keeping OpenOffice.org patched anymore, so
you'll have to track updates yourself.

Nils Breunese.