[K12OSN] public_html on the Desktop -- automagically

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Sun Oct 26 21:20:10 UTC 2008

It's not quite clear to me what you're asking for, but Apache has the UserDir
directive which allows each user to have a public_html directory in $HOME.  Then
you could put an icon on each user's desktop that launches firefox along with a
URL in which the $USER variable is passed, making the URL something like
http://webserver/peter/public_html/.  UserDir is not enabled by default, you
have to explicitly turn it on in httpd.conf.

Peter