Re: [K12OSN] How to upgrade Firefox?

Here are the instructions (verbatim) that Terrell posted on my request
of how to downgrade from FF3.  except for step 10 where the link name
is missing. I added what I used.  I'm guessing that they should just
work going the other way as well?  The other thing I have also found
useful is using gconf-editor to make sure that the panel launchers
launch mozilla-firefox.desktop as opposed to the default setting.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins

RPM repositories aren't always the answer.  You could do it the same
way I do it on some of my systems (CentOS, Slackware, etc.).  Just
download the Firefox 2 tarball (not the "installer" package, I mean
the other one, it's about 9.3MB), un-tar it into, say, the
"/usr/local/firefox2" directory, and symlink /usr/bin/firefox to
/usr/local/firefox2/firefox.  Boom, you should be good to go.

Here's how I do it, step by step:

1.)  Download Firefox 2.x to some directory (we'll say /home/temporary
for this example).
2.)  Become root.
3.)  cd /usr/local
4.)  tar -xvzf /home/temporary/firefox-2.0.0.x.tar.gz
5.)  ls -l  (you should see a "firefox" directory now)
6.)  mv firefox firefox2.0.0.x  (this is just for you to remember
which version of FF it is)
7.)  ln -s /usr/local/firefox2.0.0.x /usr/local/firefox  (just a
symlink to make it slightly easier to upgrade later, not required)
8.)  cd /usr/bin
9.)  mv firefox firefox.bak
10.)  ln -s /usr/local/firefox/firefox  firefox

And then, give 'er a spin.  You should be able to click on any of the
"Firefox Web Browser" icons and have v2.0.0.x come up.

--TP