[K12OSN] wifi wireless k12ltsp support status

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Oct 4 15:17:23 UTC 2008

Barry R Cisna wrote:
> Does anyone have any thoughts here on,,,if,, the MIMO / "N" Ap's would
> be any benefit in regards to making wireless with thin's a doable
> option? The school purchased 10 N/ MIMO AP's (for spares)that are just
> sitting in boxes. The way I see it if even two of these Ap's were put
> into existing wall mounted switches per lab this should be a starting
> point. I'm not enough of a bean counter maybe to see how quickly the
> AP's would become saturated with even slim use with say 30 thin clients
> per room. The downside, without wireless cards being able to do PXE this
> seems to be almost a no-go at this point:(
> Thoughts?

Wireless LTSP has been discussed ad nauseum on this list, as far back as
2003, and as recently as this week.  Again, it's a very bad idea, given
how wireless networking works.  If you want to try it...then good luck!
The fact that it's "N" wireless doesn't change things.

Stick with thick-client Linux boxes if you're doing wireless...yes, even
"N" wireless.

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate