[K12OSN] fl_teachertool 0.62 problem

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 21:35:12 UTC 2008

2008/10/9 David Whitmer <thewhitmers at gmail.com>:
> We've been running K12LTSP v7 for a while on some of our computers.
>
> Recently, I installed the newer 0.62 version of fl_teachertool as our
> computer skills teacher wanted to use the broadcast feature.
>
> The manual installation process seemed to go okay (made me really appreciate
> being able to just yum install something).  All functions seem to work okay
> except for broadcast.
>
> When the teacher clicks the Broadcast button and the VNC window appears,
> instead of seeing the normal login prompt, the window just stays completely
> black.  When I checked the system messages log, it said that gdmgreeter was
> having a segfault right after the vnc viewer started, and right after the
> segfault the vnc viewer shut down.

Hmm. It doesn't sound like an fl_teachertool problem. It sounds like a
configuration problem with vnc. Usually people have problems following
the instructions here
http://www3.telus.net/public/robark/Fl_TeacherTool/installation.html
but I don't think that's your problem.

I have not tested on Fedora 7.

> Also, when I try "teachertool-vncviewer localhost:1" the VNC window appears,
> then quickly disappears.  Usually with a message saying something like
> "connection reset by peer".

This is not supposed to happen. It sounds like the mechanism to start
Xvnc and provide a gdm login by xinetd is borked somehow. I can't
remember how Eric set that up. It's always just worked like magic in
k12ltsp for me.

Here is an idea, try this. Instead of
teachertool-vncviewer localhost:1
try
vncviewer localhost:1
If that works then try recompiling tightvnc; if it doesn't then it's
your systems vnc setup that's messed up.

--
Robert Arkiletian