[K12OSN] Generic Accounts?

Moon moon at smbis.com
Fri Oct 10 20:13:09 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerald Drouillard [mailto:gerrylist at drouillard.ca]
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2008 03:10 PM
To: Support list for open source software in schools.
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Generic Accounts?

Jamie Lists wrote:
> We're sprinkling LTSP clients all over a school in my district. I need
> to have a generic account for kids to use.
> The problem is if i make one account called student for instance. They
> all have the same home directory, which is bad.
> The only other way i can think of is to make 50 generic accounts and
> then tell the kids.. ok on this client you need to login as student38.
> Doesn't seem like such a great solution.
>
> Ideas?
Autologin based on mac address.  You can even have those accounts
"reset" to a clean state on login.  Look at some of my previous postings
on kiosk for the scripts and stuff.

Gerald, I too am interested in a more user (student) friendly login and easy
user admin solution for our school. However, I didn't see any kiosk info
listed when I did a search for: Gerald Drouillard kiosk, could it possibly
be listed on some other website?

Thanks

Charlie