[K12OSN] Wish my Centos5 server was a Mac

Howdy list

Wishing a perfectly good Centos5 server was a Mac server applies only to the ease of re-setting the root/admin password with the boot disk. The mounting /etc/shadow and blanking out the password content (between :: ::) does not seem to work for the machine I have. Tried Knoppix and PCLinux Live CDs to no avail...

Does anybody have a solution to change root password via a passwd reinstall or reactivation or some such measure?
Thanks
Alan
El Paso ISD, TX
-=o=-