[K12OSN] Wish my Centos5 server was a Mac

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Sun Oct 12 21:33:30 UTC 2008

Alan Hodson wrote:

> Wishing a perfectly good Centos5 server was a Mac server applies
> only to the ease of re-setting the root/admin password with the boot
> disk. The mounting /etc/shadow and blanking out the password content
> (between :: ::) does not seem to work for the machine I have. Tried
> Knoppix and PCLinux Live CDs to no avail...
>
> Does anybody have a solution to change root password via a passwd
> reinstall or reactivation or some such measure?

The easiest way to root any Unix-like machine is to start it in single
user mode (add '1' or 'single' to the kernel boot parameters). That
way you are logged in as root without being prompted for a password.
Once logged in you can run 'passwd' and set a new root password. No
boot disc needed. :o) (If your boot loader is also password protected
or if runlevel 1 is protected and you don't have the password things
get more difficult.)

Nils Breunese.