Re: [K12OSN] Cheap PXE nics?

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Vince Callaway <fastxr gmail com> wrote:
I did a writeup here:
http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Intel_PXE_NICs

On using cheap used Intel cards.  Most have to be updated to boot
properly.

The advantage of using the Intel cards is that they perform better than
realtec ones.  The Intels do most of the work on the card where the
Realtecs take CPU time.

Thanks for this information and the writeup. What would be some model numbers for Intel cards with PXE?

Only to add some experience I had with several servers setups. The best is the have a NIC (3com/Intel/Realtec) in the server that is supported out of the box from the installation. downloading and compiling drivers is supported but in the long just a hassle. Especially when you have no Internet connection to download the driver. I had this situation in a orphanage in West Timor.

On the client side I am really amazed about the BootDisk522 and the support whatever NICs, at least whatever unkown model of NIC I use works with  this boot floppy disk.

A cheap PCI NIC with PXE inbuild would be a better solution for our projects with donated hardware.