[K12OSN] Cheap PXE nics?

Leo Willems willems.leo at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 13 06:32:30 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Vince Callaway <fastxr at gmail.com> wrote:

> I did a writeup here:
> http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Intel_PXE_NICs
>
> On using cheap used Intel cards.  Most have to be updated to boot
> properly.
>
> The advantage of using the Intel cards is that they perform better than
> realtec ones.  The Intels do most of the work on the card where the
> Realtecs take CPU time.

Thanks for this information and the writeup. What would be some model
numbers for Intel cards with PXE?

Only to add some experience I had with several servers setups. The best is
the have a NIC (3com/Intel/Realtec) in the server that is supported out of
the box from the installation. downloading and compiling drivers is
supported but in the long just a hassle. Especially when you have no
Internet connection to download the driver. I had this situation in a
orphanage in West Timor.

On the client side I am really amazed about the *BootDisk522 *and the
support whatever NICs, at least whatever unkown model of NIC I use works
with  this boot floppy disk.

A cheap PCI NIC with PXE inbuild would be a better solution for our projects
with donated hardware.