[K12OSN] Sugar on K12osn

Rob Owens rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com
Thu Oct 16 11:33:06 UTC 2008

LTSP and K12LTSP are changing.  Currently K12LTSP uses LTSP 4.2.  Future
versions will use LTSP 5, which is a major change.  Without getting into
too many details, LTSP 5 requires some changes at the distro level.
Fedora is currently implementing these changes, so there looks like
there will definitely be a Fedora-based K12LTSP (renamed K12Linux, I
think).

But will there be a CentOS-based one?  I'm not sure.  My guess is that
K12LTSP 5EL (the current CentOS-based version, using LTSP 4.2) will not
be upgraded for a while.  Before a new version comes out, RedHat must
implement the distro-level changes that Fedora is currently doing.
Maybe that'll happen with their next release, but I don't know if it's
something they're working on or not.  Anybody?

By the way, you might also want to check w/ the Edubuntu folks.  They
are pushing LTSP use in schools as well.

-Rob

David Farning wrote:
> Which repository should we target? I was reading a thread about 'CentOS exactly tracks RHEL.  Therefore, we may see it in RHEL 6, thus CentOS 6, and thus K12Linux 6EL.' with regard to OO3 yesterday.  Does this apply?  Or is there a more appropriate repository?
> Our Jabber server still needs a considerable amount of work.  There is a significant amount of unnecessary overhead in the current implementation.  So scaling is limited.  I'll follow up when when we have a working implementation ready as a RPM.
> thanks
> david
>
> On  10/15/2008, 10:21, Tom Hoffman (tom.hoffman at gmail.com) wrote:A Jabber server that works with Sugar out of the box.  --Tom  On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 7:31 AM, David Farning  wrote: > About two months ago I started a thread about getting Sugar[1] on LTSP.  I recived three pieces of advice. > 1. Get Fedora packages. > 2. Get Sugar to start as a standard x-session > 3. Reduce memory consumptions. > The developers on the Fedora OLPC team have taken care of these three issues.  There are now live Fedora CDs and USBs that run Sugar as an X-session on 256M machines. > What should we start working on next? > thanks > david > > > 1.  http://sugarlabs.org/go/Main_Page > > > > _______________________________________________ > K12OSN mailing list > K12OSN at redhat.com > https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/k12osn > For more info see /www.k12os.org> >  _______________________________________________ K12OSN mailing list K12OSN at redhat.com https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/k12osn
For
>   more
> info see /www.k12os.org>

incomplete, or contain viruses.