[K12OSN] Sky high load average with FF and CentOS?

Barry R Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Sat Oct 18 18:50:05 UTC 2008

Hello List,

Just throwing this into the mix in regards to FF2 (and FF1.5.x) versus
FF3. I too have found that FF3 really puts the 'ol memory clamps versus
what FF2 uses on each server. But,, I don't know what is the diff,but it
used to be when adding entries to our viruswall via the web browser
interface it would take almost two minutes to "cycle through" the
entries. You could literally watch the cursor bee bop across each line
till the cursor got to the end then refreshed. This was true with FF1.5
all the way through FF2.0.x version. Once I installed FF3 on one server
this same thing happened in about 3 seconds. Used the same version of
java,flash etc. Don't know what the difference is but FF3 sure improved
things on this little thing anyway.
 I always assumed that this major slowness was something to do with
java,on our viruswall web interface? This is the only "webpage" I had
ever seen this being so slow,though.Also using IE on a winders box
resulted the same speed as FF3. Much improved over FF2.0.x. Just an FYI.

Take Care,
Barry Cisna