[K12OSN] Three Big Issues causing freeze-up in lab

Anthony Luscre mo_luscre at mogadore.net
Mon Oct 20 14:00:24 UTC 2008

I am having  three major problems in our new lab (Fedora 9, LTSP 5, Gnome Desktop, Kerenl 2.6.26.5-45.fc9.686.PAE,  PAE enabled computer with 13 GB RAM,  2 Quad core processors, 30 clients):

1. FireFox- The very first time a student starts FireFox it attempts to do a few add-on updates. This works fine with only a few students but with a large group many of them freeze and will not let FireFox completely start. If they do force quit, and try to start FireFox again, they usually get a message that FireFox is already running and cannot be started. When I go to system monitor Process says "disk sleeping" under CPU column. (If possible would it fix the problem if there was a way to "start" all user's firefox from a command line batch file. I have no idea what batch file would look like or even if you can start FireFox from a command line to finish updating.)

2. When a user logs out it leaves a gvsf-fuse-damon runnig on Server. I there a way to make automatically kill all processes for a user when they log out

3. If they are forced to turn off their terminal, when it attempts to reboot it does not attach to server and they get a "non system disk" message (the client terminals are  diskless.) Sometimes unpluging power and CAT-5 cable, then reconnecting allow the terminal to attach and give log-in screen. Is this a MAC address / DHCP issue? Is it related to #2 above?

Pulling my hair out as Students and Teahcers get frustrated and say the lab "stinks"

Thanks for any ideas
Anthony

Anthony A. Luscre - Director of Technology

Mogadore Local Schools
1 S. Cleveland Ave.
Mogadore, OH 44260

mo_luscre at mogadore.net