[K12OSN] How to change X-terminales networks

Arturo Limón arturo at susetic.com
Tue Oct 21 20:15:34 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am preparing a "standar server" for schools with k12ltsp over CentOS. It
runs over Linux RAID, so cloning the server for similar hardware is quite
easy.

BUT, I have a problem with networking. I am preparing the server for network
192.168.1.x, but when I have to install it in schools, quite often I find
that their network is in the range 192.168.0.x, or 192.168.10.x or any other
different from the one I have prepared. As far as the server will not only
server "dumb" terminals (old computers) but also real computers for services
like http, samba, dns, and others, I may need to change my net range from
192.168.1.x to theirs, better than changing IPs to serveral tens computers
scattered all over the building (something that they frecuently do not
like).

But changing it has proved to be not an easy task. Lots of configuration
files are involved. I have seen all those files are created and/or correctly
configured on installation, but changing them after than needs a lot of
handwork, I have tried with ltspadmin, but I only solves part of the
problem.

So, my question is:

Is there an easy way to "say" to the system, "network is not 192.168.1.x any
more, now is 192.168.0.x", and get all the involved files changed or
recreated accordingly, like in installation happens ?

Thanks.