Re: [K12OSN] OpenOffice 3.0

John Montoya wrote:

Another NOT critical question...

Again, on a fresh EL-5 server. The default install ends up with OpenOffice 2.3 I have looked and looked... can't seem to find a way to "update" office to the new 3.0

Question:
Is there an update process?
or
Do you simply delete office 2.3 from the server and do a fresh 3.0 install?

K12LTSP 5EL is based on CentOS 5. So the version of OpenOffice.org in the CentOS 5 repositories is what you get when you install OpenOffice.org. CentOS being a rebuild of RHEL, you're going to get whatever Red Hat ships at the moment. And RHEL being an enterprise Linux distribution this means you're not getting the latest version, but a stable version. (By the way, I believe there is no current Linux distribution shipping OpenOffice.org 3.0 at the moment.) But you can probably download the 3.0 rpms from the OpenOffice.org site and install those instead: http://download.openoffice.org/other.html Just know that yum won't be keeping OpenOffice.org patched anymore, so you'll have to track updates yourself.

Nils Breunese.