[K12OSN] K12OSN a bit OT - how to make responses on the same interface request came in

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Oct 30 15:36:03 UTC 2008

Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> Dear Folks,
> 	I am somewhat stumped with a simple networking scenario:
> eth0 - internal,
> eth1 - external fast, dhcp non-routable, default route,
> eth2 - external public address not very fast.
> 	I am using openvpn and for connections to other servers I can
> easily specify which interface to use. What I need to do is to connect to
> openvpn server process on eth2. Unfortunately packets come in on eth2 but
> travel out on eth1 - default. Source based routing is no help, since I am
> not just passing the packets based on the incoming interface, but I'm
> trying to push responses on eth2. Essentialy, on receipt on eth2 of an UDP
> packets on port 1194 I need to answer with UDP packet om port 1194 on
> eth2.
> 	The computers trying to connect have only private addresses from
> cable ISPs.
> 	Any suggestions? Please ...
> julius

What I'd do is make a static route for this OpenVPN server, pointing to
eth2's next hop.  Something like this:

  thedude at linuxbox# route add -host w.x.y.z gw a.b.c.d

where w.x.y.z is the OpenVPN box that you want to talk to, and a.b.c.d
is eth2's next-hop router.  Now, if you have a bunch of OpenVPN boxes in
the same subnet that you have to talk to--for example, the 44.55.66.0/24
network, I'd do it like this:

  thedude at linuxbox# route add -net 44.55.66.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw
a.b.c.d

where, again, a.b.c.d is eth2's next hop.

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate
antivirus protection!