Re: [K12OSN] K12OSN a bit OT - how to make responses on the same interface request came in

Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
Dear Folks,
	I am somewhat stumped with a simple networking scenario:
eth0 - internal,
eth1 - external fast, dhcp non-routable, default route,
eth2 - external public address not very fast.
	I am using openvpn and for connections to other servers I can
easily specify which interface to use. What I need to do is to connect to
openvpn server process on eth2. Unfortunately packets come in on eth2 but
travel out on eth1 - default. Source based routing is no help, since I am
not just passing the packets based on the incoming interface, but I'm
trying to push responses on eth2. Essentialy, on receipt on eth2 of an UDP
packets on port 1194 I need to answer with UDP packet om port 1194 on
eth2.
	The computers trying to connect have only private addresses from
cable ISPs.
	Any suggestions? Please ...
julius

What I'd do is make a static route for this OpenVPN server, pointing to eth2's next hop.  Something like this:

  thedude linuxbox# route add -host w.x.y.z gw a.b.c.d

where w.x.y.z is the OpenVPN box that you want to talk to, and a.b.c.d is eth2's next-hop router.  Now, if you have a bunch of OpenVPN boxes in the same subnet that you have to talk to--for example, the 44.55.66.0/24 network, I'd do it like this:

  thedude linuxbox# route add -net 44.55.66.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw a.b.c.d

where, again, a.b.c.d is eth2's next hop.

--TP
Do you GNU?