[K12OSN] freenx issue

Will Hatch whatch at anwsu.org
Thu Oct 30 16:14:12 UTC 2008

I figured it out.  I had to reinstall openssh-server.  I then had to
reinstall freenx, and may have possibly reinstalled the correct version.
 In the Centos Add-remove programs, there are two versions.  Maybe the
version I previously had installed wouldn't work with the nx-client I
have installed.  Anyway, I'm good!  Thanks all. -Will

>>> "Nadav Kavalerchik" <nadavkav at gmail.com> 10/30/2008 11:06 am >>>
excellent info (ideas)
thanks :-)

2008/10/30 "Terrell Prudé Jr." <microman at cmosnetworks.com>:

> Nils Breunese wrote:
>>
>> Nadav Kavalerchik wrote:
>>
>>> just a little advise for the time you get it fixed
>>>
>>> we had alloooooot of log warnings of hackers trying to crack the
machine
>>> through port 22 so we moved it very high... beyond 62744
>>>
>>> now all is quiet :-)
>>
>> I like to set up public key authentication and then disable
password
>> authentication for SSH. Then install a brute-force blocker like
DenyHosts
>> [0] or Fail2Ban [1] and things are also quiet. And our users don't
need to
>> specify a custom port.
>>
>> Nils Breunese.
>>
> +1 on that.  I've used both of those tools, and they both work.  I
don't use
> custom ports anymore, either, for this reason.
> My preference is now for Fail2Ban, because I prefer IPTables-style
blocking.
>  But that's just me.
>
> --TP

***********************************
PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: This communication, including attachments,
is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary,
recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution
is strictly prohibited. If you're not the intended recipient, please
notify the sender immediately by return email and delete this
communication and destroy all copies.
It is the policy of ANWSU not to discriminate on the basis or race,
color, religion, national origin, gender, disability, or gender
orientation in its educational programs or activities, or in its
employment policies as required by Title IX of the 1972 Educational
Amendments, by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, by Title
VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and by Vermont State Law.