[K12OSN] OT: Backuppc config issue

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 02:06:14 UTC 2008

Well, after following Nils advice and posting on the backuppc forum,
the solution for backing up the localhost was to use

 /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/rsync [options] ....

and to turn off the requirement for a tty session in the sudo options.
 But, as I posted on the backuppc forum, I'm still confused about the
syntax for rsync as far as the error log for backuppc is concerned.
It shows the rsync command as

rsync [whole bunch of options] . /home/

which I thought (and testing from a shell as root seems to confirm)
that this would copy '.' to /home/.  But ... when run by backuppc it
creates a backup

The command in the log is:
/usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root ncsfs2 /usr/bin/rsync --numeric-ids --perms
--owner --group -D --links --hard-links --times \
--block-size=2048 --recursive --checksum-seed=32761 --ignore-times . /home/

I must be getting the local and remote directories confused because of
the use of ssh?  I'll test tomorrow on using a remote system and not
localhost.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins