[K12OSN] Removing kpp and kopete

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Wed Sep 3 16:40:51 UTC 2008

Brian Chivers wrote:

> I did a rpm -qf /usr/bin/kopete and this was the result
>
> kdenetwork-3.5.4-4.fc6
>
> So I'm guessing it's part of the kdenetwork package (man I'm smart
> sometime *grin*)
>
> Looking on this page http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/kde/kdenetwork.html
>  it seems I can remove it without break too much :-)
>
> Any thing I should check first ??

Seems like kppp is also part of the kdenetwork package. See the output
of 'rpm -ql kdenetwork | grep /usr/bin' for a list of other binaries
that you'll get rid of when uninstall the kdenetwork package. After
that you could run 'yum remove kdenetwork'. If kdenetwork is a
dependency for other packages yum will show you a list of packages
that will also be removed when removing kdenetwork. If that all looks
ok to you, you can proceed to remove it.

If you find that you don't want to remove kdenetwork because of
dependencies or other useful programs in the kdenetwork package, you
may need to look into modifying the launcher menus to remove the
entries or even blocking access to the kopete and kppp binaries
directly by modifying permissions if that is what you want.

Nils Breunese.