[K12OSN] Flash and nspluginwrapper

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu Sep 4 21:33:20 UTC 2008

Nils Breunese wrote:
> Warren Togami wrote:
>
>> Fedora 8+ and RHEL5+ use nspluginwrapper by default even on i386.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> Because nspluginwrapper runs the plugins in a separate process, so
>> plugin crashes do not take Firefox down with it.
>
> That's not our experience. Firefox crashed randomly and nspluginwrapper
> + Flash seemd to be the culprit. We're not on RHEL5+ though (as it's not
> out yet AFAIK), just CentOS 5.2.

You do know that CentOS 5.2 is a source rebuild clone of RHEL-5.2?

Specifically what plugin were you using during the crash?
What version of the plugin?

http://macromedia.mplug.org/
We seriously need these details.  I am not aware of anything other than
problem #1 here that could crash firefox due to a plugin problem when
nspluginwrapper is involved.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com