[K12OSN] Slow Booting LTSP Clients - K12LTSP5EL

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Sat Sep 6 17:21:31 UTC 2008

Stephen Crampton wrote:
> to try and install the K12LTSP Centos 5EL.
>
> I'm using the same machine.  I just switched hard drives (same make and
> model).
>
> I'm using the 6 install CDs (the install DVD would not burn on my system
> -- too big).
>
> The installation stops and says I do not have any hard drives.  The BIOS
> recognizes the hard drive and indeed I can boot from it.
>
> The motherboard says M2V-MX SE on it.  I searched around and found
> reference to a sata_via module.  I tried adding the module through the
> Centos installation menu (where it says, "do you want to add any
> hardware modules?").  However, the installation still fails a few
> screens later (after I choose English language and keyboard and LTSP
> system).  It says there is no hard drive again.

Have you tried flipping options in the BIOS related to the SATA.  Some
BIOS need to enable or disable "legacy" ATA in order to work properly
with older kernels like CentOS 5.

http://wtogami.livejournal.com/27610.html
You might also want to try the Fedora LTSP5 Live USB.  This is more
likely to install without issues and booting.  You could within minutes
install and boot to serve thin clients.

http://petre.homedns.org/f9-ltsp/draft3-jpg/
Latest draft of the setup instructions is here.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2008-September/msg00068.html
Unfortunately, if this is the same hardware as you describe here, as
others point out you likely need gigabit ethernet and a gigabit ethernet
uplink to your switch for this to be of any benefit.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com