[K12OSN] Slow Booting LTSP Clients - K12LTSP5EL

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 19:02:21 UTC 2008

Stephen Crampton wrote:
> try and install the K12LTSP Centos 5EL.
>
> I'm using the same machine.  I just switched hard drives (same make and
> model).
>
> I'm using the 6 install CDs (the install DVD would not burn on my system --
> too big).
>
> The installation stops and says I do not have any hard drives.  The BIOS
> recognizes the hard drive and indeed I can boot from it.
>
> The motherboard says M2V-MX SE on it.  I searched around and found reference
> to a sata_via module.  I tried adding the module through the Centos
> installation menu (where it says, "do you want to add any hardware
> modules?").  However, the installation still fails a few screens later
> (after I choose English language and keyboard and LTSP system).  It says
> there is no hard drive again.
>
> Please help.  I didn't mean to start flames between K12LTSP and Edubuntu.
> I'm just trying to get a working system.  I have parents coming in on Monday
> night, so I'm working this weekend to try and iron out the problem.  I would
> like them to come away saying, "Wow, this is cool.  Why is the school
> district spending money on Windows software?"

The quick fix would be to toss in a different SATA card if you  have one
sitting around, but it might be worth trying 'linux noapm noacpi'at the
install disk's boot prompt.
https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=ASC&topic_id=8588&forum=39&move=prev&topic_time=1179877975
indicates there was a bug in power management with that module - not
sure if if would affect installs.  This may be fixed in updates, so if
you do get the install to work, do a 'yum update' to get the latest.

However, if your problem really has to do with concurrent network
activity below what you'd expect to be a problem I doubt if the OS or
distribution is the cause.  I'd concentrate first on the shared parts of
the network - which may just be your uplink port and the gig port of the
switch.  Use ethtool to check that the speed/duplex settings are correct
on the linux side and the switch management tools to see that it matches
and that you are not getting errors.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com