[K12OSN] Re: K12Linux branding ideas

Terrell Prude' Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon Sep 8 16:20:26 UTC 2008

On Monday 08 September 2008 12:08, Warren Togami wrote:
> Warren Togami wrote:
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > We may soon have ownership of k12linux.* domains.  We need to decide how
> > we will use the K12Linux brand name.
> >
> > In the tradition of K12LTSP, perhaps we should call the installable
> > media spins K12Linux.
> >
> > K12Linux Live Server F9 Beta 2
> > K12Linux Live Server F9
> > K12Linux Live Server F10
> > K12linux Live Server EL6
>
> Hmm, I'm also considering:
> K12Linux Live LTSP Server F9 Beta 2
> K12Linux Live LTSP Server F9
> K12Linux Live LTSP Server F10
> K12Linux Live LTSP Server EL6
>
> You think folks would be confused with the lack of "LTSP" in the name?
>
> Or is "Live" important to include in the name?

I don't believe the word "Live" is that important, really.  Ubuntu doesn't do
it, Knoppix doesn't do it, nobody else I personally know of that makes Live
CD's does it.  The "LTSP", though, or alternately "Terminal Server", is
important, though.

When I refer to K12LTSP to most school technical staff, I've found that if I
describe it--colloquially--as "basically Red Hat Linux, Terminal Server
Edition", then they get the idea.  This is because they're already familiar
with "Windows NT/2000/2003 Terminal Server".

For existing K12LTSP users, and there are plenty, we ought to keep some
reference to LTSP, even if it's "K12Linux Terminal Server Edition".

BTW, your choice of version naming is nice (F9, F10, EL6, etc.).  Clear and to
the point.

--TP