[K12OSN] bootup slow -- nfs server not responding

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 17:07:49 UTC 2008

Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:
> On Monday 08 September 2008 12:07, Rob Owens wrote:
>> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> Are you up to date with the current 5.2 updates?  I think one of the
>>> fairly recent kernel updates had NFS performance fixes - I'm not sure if
>>> it will help with this issue, though.
>> All up to date -- except for the kernel.  I have that excluded in
>> yum.conf in order to avoid reboots.  I'll update and reboot tonight and
>> see how that goes.  Thanks for the advice.
>>
>> -Rob
>
> Bear in mind that mainstream GNU/Linux distros--unlike MS Windows--do not
> force a reboot after you update the kernel.  So, you're safe in letting that
> happen.  Fortunately, kernel updates aren't super-common anyway.

I think yum is also smart enough not to delete your running kernel even
if it is configured to only keep 2 and you've updated several times
without rebooting.  That means even if an update installs a new kernel
that doesn't work you will be able to boot your working version by
selecting it at the boot prompt.  Unbootable update kernels are unlikely
from CentOS, but I've had several from Fedora on certain hardware.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com