[K12OSN] Re: K12Linux branding ideas

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Tue Sep 9 12:47:11 UTC 2008

Micha Silver wrote

> >> On Monday 08 September 2008 12:50, Warren Togami wrote:
> >> How about:
> >> K12Linux Terminal Server F9 Beta 2
> >> K12Linux Terminal Server F9
> >> 12Linux Terminal Server F10
> >> K12Linux Terminal Server EL6
>
> I hope there are no copyright issues on the name "Terminal
> Server". I think that MS has copyrighted "Terminal Services".

Well, it would be a trademark issue, not copyright.  The only thing a quick search of the USPTO trademark database (TESS) found when I searched for "Terminal Server" was "Simplify Terminal Server" registered to a company called Tricerat, Inc. in Columbia, Maryland.  There were two other hits but they were abandoned 8 and 14 years ago respectively.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=p3ttg5.2.1

I'm not a lawyer but I don't think the name "K12Linux Terminal Server" poses a risk to "Simplify Terminal Server" (although the software might, but that's a completely different matter).  Interestingly, a Google search for "Simplify Terminal Server" on the Tricerat Web site produces zero hits.

--
Henry