[K12OSN] A New direction for LTSP: Diskless Remote Boot

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Wed Sep 10 04:42:47 UTC 2008

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I know local app support is in the works BUT
>
> I'm wondering if anyone else is thinking it would be a good idea to
> have an option (or even a distro) which runs EVERYTHING on the client.
> Much like DRBL http://drbl.sourceforge.net/. The reason for my
> suggestion is that I feel the days of Terminal Servers are numbered.
> With the advent of Intel Atom like cpus, it now becomes possible to
> retain the energy efficiency of previous generation thin clients AND
> have enough cpu muscle to run a full desktop. As time goes on these
> cpus are only going to get faster. They are already fast enough and
> very affordable.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856167032

Very soon you'll see dual core Atom on the market too.

> The benefits of LTSP are ease of administration, maintenance,
> affordability and energy efficiency. With Diskless remote booting

I personally would call it "diskless workstation".  That's why I've been
calling it diskless workstation increasingly in past months instead of
thin clients.

Totally agreed about the details and benefits of this model.  I've been
thinking about how to achieve this as an easy to install option in
Fedora.  One could run this in parallel with thin clients if they wish.

I'm very swamped until late October with preparations for a big
presentation, major surgery and travel.  I hope to seriously look at a
DRB like model for Fedora after F10 is out the door.

Meanwhile could someone analyze how the tools/pieces of DRBL works and
report back here?

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com