[K12OSN] A New direction for LTSP: Diskless Remote Boot

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Wed Sep 10 05:35:21 UTC 2008

R. Scott Belford wrote:
> I would second Robert's observation that DRBL is something to model. You
> may recall that I discussed this with you earlier this year, Warren,
> while you were visiting UH.(1)  I suggested then that DRBL handled the
> Flash issues, solved the need for central authentication, and provided
> goodies like Clonezilla to boot, literally.  From a development roadmap,
> I don't know how to go about combining it with Fedora.  I do know that
> it seems to solve a lot of problems.  It uses a lot more NFS mounts, and
> you can boot many distro flavors.

Have you seen LTSP local apps support?  The latest Fedora 9 update
coming soon should have it working.  The hybrid client model is another
way to solve the Flash bandwidth issue.  And it does so without the
insecurity of NFS, using secure fuse ssh mounts instead.

But yes, I totally agree with Robert on the DRBL model being the future.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com