[K12OSN] Can;t login with gdm but ssh OK

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 13:13:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 4:21 AM, Brian Chivers
<brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk> wrote:
> I've just setup my second thinclient box & I thought I'd done it exactly the
> same as the first but I must have missed something. The box has a slave ldap
> server running on it so it's setup to authenticate against this one to cut
> load on the main server.
>
> I can ssh in as a student OK but when I try to login as the same student on
> one of the client it doesn't work and /var/log/messages shows
>
> gdm: cannot authenticate user
>
> What have I missed :-)

As a test, try setting authentication to use the master ldap server
and make sure that is working.  If so, set it back to the slave and if
using nscd, restart nscd.  I have gotten this message and it was
related to cached login information.

I also use a secondary ldap server but that is more for redundancy
than load.  My current ldap master only has a 100Mbit connection and
dual PIII 1GHz processors with 2Gb of memory. Now that I have resolved
the 'too many open files issue', I never see the load go above about
.5 nor memory go above 1Gb even when authenticating 100+ users, but I
do have nscd running on all my ltsp servers.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins