[K12OSN] A New direction for LTSP: Diskless Remote Boot

Rob Owens rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com
Thu Sep 11 14:29:08 UTC 2008

R. Scott Belford wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 5:28 AM, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com
> <mailto:wtogami at redhat.com>> wrote:
>

>     Any idea what exactly LTSP5 Edubuntu is doing wrong?  We're using
>     almost all the same upstream sources, although more aggressively
>     newer versions on a more frequent basis.
>
> There seemed to be a discrepancy between user expectations, minimum
> required hardware specs, documentation, project goals, and the feedback
> loop between users and developers.(2)  Many have become spoiled by Eric
> and Jim and you, Warren, because you seek solutions from the users at
> their level on their mailing lists.  As many are learning - this is rare
> and should be treasured.

I think a lot of it comes down to expectations.  Many early Edubuntu
users were also K12LTSP users.  K12LTSP works so great and is so easy to
set up, that the standard was set very high for Edubuntu.  There has
been a lot of hype around Edubuntu -- which I think is a good thing
because it helps to attract new users.  But the hype also attracted some
K12LTSP users and I think, in general, those are the users who have been
disappointed with Edubuntu.

-Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.