[K12OSN] LTSP Lab Slow to Boot

Todd O'Bryan toddobryan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 13:04:58 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 2:16 AM, Terrell Prude' Jr.
<microman at cmosnetworks.com> wrote:
> So, it sounds like you have a good setup here.
>
> --TP

Thanks!

> Interesting...what kind of onboard NICs are these?  And what kind of server
> motherboard nowadays includes non-Linux-friendly NIC's?  I'd like to know,
> so I can avoid them like the plague.

They're actually Intel NICs and they seem to work fine with the
regular 32-bit Linux kernel and the 64-bit kernel, but you get errors
about too many connections with the 32-bit server kernel. I can't
remember exactly what the problem was...one of my students who headed
off to college was trying to track it down and said that the same
error messages had been present back to 2006 without ever getting
fixed. People on the mailing lists didn't seem to think it was
something to worry about, but we were noticing hiccups on the LTSP
network, probably because so many clients were trying to connect.

I just emailed my student to see if he remembers the details and will
send them along when he responds.

Todd