[K12OSN] Troublesome/Annoying Dialog for 500 students at logon...

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 19:00:04 UTC 2008

Jim Christiansen wrote:
> Yes, I thought so too,,,  Everyone can log on and do all of their work,
> though.
>
> I rebuilt the group shadow and password files in etc- no userids messed
> up I'm pretty sure
>
> then synced the home back
>
> rsync -a -p -g /drivehdb3/home /
>
> then ran a script :
>
> d in * ; do chown -Rv $d:$d $d ; done
>
> to chown all of the folders back to their own perms.
>
> I'll re-run this after school before I go home for the weekend.
>

> Thanks for any more ideas.

I wouldn't hurt to check first to see if /home/"userid" ownership matches
"userid" and that permissions look something like "drwx------". There may be no
need to re-run the script. Your script sets ownership, but not permissions. If
perms look something like "dr-x------" or "dr-xr-xr-x" then they could read but
not write to their directories. Check subdirectories too; depending on your
login manager they could be the problem (i.e. ~/.dmrc).

                         - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802      http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W              AST (UTC-4)                         |