[K12OSN] still banging my head against Ubuntu 8 authenticating against LDAP

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Tue Sep 23 12:18:29 UTC 2008

Carl Keil wrote:
> So,
>
> When I run "ldapsearch 10.0.1.252 domain.com -x" on the LDAP server, I
> get a list of all the people in the LDAP database.  When I run the
> same search from the client I get a message saying that it can't
> contact the LDAP server.  I've dropped the firewall on the server and
> I can ping the server.
> Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?  How do you tell LDAP
> to listen to outside ports?

As far as I know, two things will block access to an ldap server.
1- Either the firewall is not allowing traffic in on port 389 . This you
can check with iptables -nvL. You should see a line ACCEPTing packets
from whoever should be able to query the ldap server. (I'm not sure what
you mean by "dropped the firewall..." ?)
or
2- Access limited by "access" rules in your slapd.conf file
(/etc/openldap/slapd.conf). The default, if there are no access rules,
is to allow everyone read access, and only the root user to write.
> Thanks,
>
> ck

Micha Silver
Arava Development Co