[K12OSN] 1 nic k12ltsp 6.0

Chuck Kollars ckollars9 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 17:45:49 UTC 2008

>  ... The reason that GNU/Linux or *BSD boxes are so much easier here is
> that they generally come with X11 servers, ...
                                    ^^^^^^^
Yep, that's not a typo. In the X11 world the end with a screen you look at is the "server" and the end that invisibly produces the data is the "client". If you look at the internals and consult a dictionary this terminology is "correct", but it's probably opposite to how you're used to thinking about pragmatic issues. In X11-land, the "server" is the terminal, not the thing in the back room.

>  ... I'd suggest Googling for "XDM" and "MS Windows" or something
> along those lines.  That'll probably turn up an XDMCP-supporting X11
> server. Hummingbird used to make an X11 server for Win32, but I don't
> know if they still do. ...

Also try simply Googling for "Windows X|X11 server". There's currently at least one freebie package that works reasonably well, it seems that either Hummingbird or its successor still sells this software, and altogether there are a whole handful of choices.

>  ... Avoid getting too many clients connecting this way, as they
> extract a greater load ...

Yep, this sort of client transfers complex graphics (not simple circles or squares) bit by bit, and so can produce a very heavy load on your network and use lots of buffering RAM on the other end.

thanks! -Chuck Kollars