[K12OSN] Using ltspinfo to shutdown clients

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Sep 26 12:25:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 09:43 -0700, Robert Arkiletian wrote:

> > #!/bin/bash
> >
> > # lounge machines
> > /usr/bin/ltspinfo --host=lounge-a --shutdown
> > /usr/bin/ltspinfo --host=lounge-b --shutdown
> > /usr/bin/ltspinfo --host=lounge-c --shutdown
> >
> > # dhcp machines
> > START=101
> > END=249
> >
> > NETWORK="192.168.105."
> >
> > for i in `seq $START $END`; do
> >  IP="$NETWORK$i"
> >  X=`/usr/bin/ltspinfo --host=$IP --shutdown`
> >  echo "$IP: $X"
> > done
> >

> I warn people not to enable this feature as it's a security issue in
> ltsp 4.x. However, george, if you do use it I would put in a time
> interval for each powerdown becuase the  loop to issue powerdown runs
> very quickly. So it's effectively like having 30 people hit power off
> button at the same time. That could cause a power surge (maybe it's
> called spike) for equipment still up and may potentially damage
> something.
>
> A 1 second interval (sleep 1s) should be sufficient.

A power down can cause a "phased ringing" of the current but that is
unlikely to instigate damage unless the circuit is running at full
capacity.
The bigger issue is using similar methods to power _on_ the clients.
That can cause a power surge that pops breakers and can also flood the
DHCP capabilities since UDP is pretty brain dead.

try 'sleep .1s' to spread out the load. A full second is fine, too.
--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>