Re: [K12OSN] OT: Backuppc config issue

David Hopkins wrote:

I installed Backuppc and am trying to simply verify that it will work
by running a backup against the backup server itself.  I created ssh
keys (for both root and the backuppc account) and can ssh into the
server without issues or prompts (e.g. ssh ncsfs2)

Apache is running as backuppc (per the backuppc website since the only
use for apache on this system is to run the Backuppc cgi access).

When I request a backup, I get the following (and this is slightly
different than the default which includes the --sender --server flags
but with those flags the command will not even run at all)

Error message in Xfer.log

full backup started for directory /home
Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root ncsfs2 /usr/bin/rsync
--numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links --times
--block-size=2048 --recursive --checksum-seed=32761 --ignore-times .
/home/
Xfer PIDs are now 30065
Read EOF: Connection reset by peer
Tried again: got 0 bytes
Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)
Backup aborted (Unable to read 4 bytes)

I have added backuppc ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/rsync via visudo.

I can run the command from a shell as root but the effect is to back
up root's home ('.' in the above) to /home/ which is not what is
desired at all.  I guess I must be very close to getting it working
but what is missing now has me baffled.

Sounds like a question for the backuppc-users mailinglist. I happen to be on there and this is a fairly frequently asked question. First of all, try running that command as the backuppc user instead of root, since that's what BackupPC does. You need to OK the SSH fingerprint the first time you login via SSH and BackupPC can't do that for you. Make sure you login once yourself and OK the fingerprint. Afterwards BackupPC should be able to login automatically. If not you could have another problem, but I suggest taking this issue to the backuppc-users mailinglist (after checking the archives first of course).

Nils Breunese.