Re: [K12OSN] OT: Backuppc config issue

David Hopkins wrote:

Well, after following Nils advice and posting on the backuppc forum,
the solution for backing up the localhost was to use

/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/rsync [options] ....

and to turn off the requirement for a tty session in the sudo options.
But, as I posted on the backuppc forum, I'm still confused about the
syntax for rsync as far as the error log for backuppc is concerned.
It shows the rsync command as

rsync [whole bunch of options] . /home/

which I thought (and testing from a shell as root seems to confirm)
that this would copy '.' to /home/.  But ... when run by backuppc it
creates a backup

That's because BackupPC works quite differently from what you expect. BackupPC doesn't use the stock rsync binary on the server end for instance, but its own Perl implementation (File::RsyncP) and adds the --server --sender flags to the command to set the client to be backed up in rsync server mode to send the data to the BackupPC server. BackupPC does a whole lot of magic on its own end to make all the pooling and compression possible. It is a mighty powerful system though and we use it to backup all of our machines. If you want to know more about all the technical details, join the backuppc-users mailinglist and check out its archives.

Nils Breunese.