Re: [K12OSN] Removing kpp and kopete

Brian Chivers wrote:

I did a rpm -qf /usr/bin/kopete and this was the result

kdenetwork-3.5.4-4.fc6

So I'm guessing it's part of the kdenetwork package (man I'm smart sometime *grin*)

Looking on this page http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/kde/kdenetwork.html it seems I can remove it without break too much :-)

Any thing I should check first ??

Seems like kppp is also part of the kdenetwork package. See the output of 'rpm -ql kdenetwork | grep /usr/bin' for a list of other binaries that you'll get rid of when uninstall the kdenetwork package. After that you could run 'yum remove kdenetwork'. If kdenetwork is a dependency for other packages yum will show you a list of packages that will also be removed when removing kdenetwork. If that all looks ok to you, you can proceed to remove it.

If you find that you don't want to remove kdenetwork because of dependencies or other useful programs in the kdenetwork package, you may need to look into modifying the launcher menus to remove the entries or even blocking access to the kopete and kppp binaries directly by modifying permissions if that is what you want.

Nils Breunese.