[K12OSN] Flash and nspluginwrapper

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 19:08:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Fedora 8+ and RHEL5+ use nspluginwrapper by default even on i386.
>
> Why?
>
> Because nspluginwrapper runs the plugins in a separate process, so plugin
> crashes do not take Firefox down with it.

Is there a way to automatically set the nice value of these
nspluginwrapper processes to 19. Opera does this by default and it
really makes a big difference to keep the server responsive even when
many users are viewing flash videos.

I have discovered that with flash 9 version 115 and 124 Adobe seems to
have made the player more threaded. So it more effectively utilizes
all cpu cores. In our situation this is not a good thing. I found
flash 9 version 48 to be better behaved and less of a cpu hog. The
only problem is the security updates that version lacks.

--
Robert Arkiletian