Re: [K12OSN] Flash and nspluginwrapper

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Warren Togami <wtogami redhat com> wrote:
Hi folks,

Fedora 8+ and RHEL5+ use nspluginwrapper by default even on i386.

Why?

Because nspluginwrapper runs the plugins in a separate process, so plugin
crashes do not take Firefox down with it.

Is there a way to automatically set the nice value of these
nspluginwrapper processes to 19. Opera does this by default and it
really makes a big difference to keep the server responsive even when
many users are viewing flash videos.

I have discovered that with flash 9 version 115 and 124 Adobe seems to
have made the player more threaded. So it more effectively utilizes
all cpu cores. In our situation this is not a good thing. I found
flash 9 version 48 to be better behaved and less of a cpu hog. The
only problem is the security updates that version lacks.

/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/npviewer
This shell scripts launches npviewer.bin which runs the plugins in a separate process. You could run things before npviewer.bin like taskset -c with a random CPU number.

CPU=$[$RANDOM % `getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN`]
exec taskset -c $CPU $LOADER $NPW_VIEWER_DIR/npviewer.bin ${1+"$@"}

Something like this.

I am thinking about adding a /etc/sysconfig file for this sort of thing. It is needed for other special purposes sometimes.

Warren Togami
wtogami redhat com