Re: [K12OSN] Flash and nspluginwrapper

Nils Breunese wrote:
Warren Togami wrote:

Nils Breunese wrote:
Warren Togami wrote:
Fedora 8+ and RHEL5+ use nspluginwrapper by default even on i386.

Why?

Because nspluginwrapper runs the plugins in a separate process, so plugin crashes do not take Firefox down with it.
That's not our experience. Firefox crashed randomly and nspluginwrapper + Flash seemd to be the culprit. We're not on RHEL5+ though (as it's not out yet AFAIK), just CentOS 5.2.

You do know that CentOS 5.2 is a source rebuild clone of RHEL-5.2?

Yes. Hm, I guess by 5+ you didn't mean greater than 5 then. AFAIK nspluginwrapper was not in CentOS 5.0 and 5.1. We had to get the rpms from the nspluginwrapper site at the time. When nspluginwrapper appeared in the CentOS repositories that didn't help though.

Specifically what plugin were you using during the crash?
What version of the plugin?

http://macromedia.mplug.org/
We seriously need these details. I am not aware of anything other than problem #1 here that could crash firefox due to a plugin problem when nspluginwrapper is involved.

I don't know, it was a couple of months ago. I'm sorry, I don't have a system (and the time) to test things at the moment.

nspluginwrapper for RHEL5 wasn't available a few months ago.

It might have a bug I don't know about. Can somebody get actual test data? Reproduce procedure and exact version numbers of everything?

Warren